Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Teen Read Week - October 18-23

Teen Reads Week is coming up and I want to make sure I do something fun to promote it. I used Canva to create a couple of posters to advertise the event. The first is a general promotion and the second describes the details of the activities.



Since this is new to students, and I'm new to Teen Reads Week, I thought it might be fun to do a giveaway. At the elementary level I typically gave away books, but I know that at this point in time a book giveaway is not going to be the most motivating for my high school students. However, gift certificates to the movies or popular places to eat would be very motivating. So, I brainstormed several different activities of varying levels of difficulty and assigned a number of tickets to the completion of each. Students complete an activity and turn it in to me to get X number of red tickets. They write their name on the back of the ticket and place it in our bucket. Every day from Tuesday - Friday I'm going to do a drawing at lunch for 2 students. Those two students come to the library to randomly choose a gift certificate. So that I'm not the one that decides what is given, I'm placing all of the gift cards in an opaque container and students must reach in to grab a gift certificate. Hopefully the event will be a success and we'll be able to expand it even more next year.

I'd really like to have a cake decorating contest, a book swap, and a reveal party for the Teen Top 10 in the future. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to really plan out the logistics for those events. We are hosting a book drive with the Key Club throughout the week, a New Arrivals reveal at lunch on Monday, and a Trivia contest Wednesday after school. We'll see how those events go and then plan more for next year.

I did use the resources on the Teen Reads Week website to get promotion ideas, the theme, and activity ideas. If you want to plan out something for Teen Reads Week, I highly recommend checking out the ALA website.

Once Teen Reads Week is over, I'll blog again to share pictures and my thoughts on how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment